Foundations of School Mental Health
Comprehensive School Mental Health Systems (CSMHS) provide a full array of tiered supports and services that promote a positive school climate, social and emotional learning, and mental health and well-being, while reducing the prevalence and severity of mental illness and substance use. CSMHSs are built on a strong foundation of district and school professionals, including administrators and educators, specialized instructional support personnel (e.g., school psychologists, school social workers, school counselors, school nurses, and other school health professionals), in strategic collaboration with students, families, and community health and mental health partners. These systems also assess and address the social, political, and environmental structures, include public policies and social norms, that influence mental health outcomes.
For more information, view:
- The Advancing Comprehensive School Mental Health Systems Report and Dialogue Guides Package offer collective insight and guidance to local communities and states to advance comprehensive school mental health systems.
- School Mental Health Quality Assessment Domains and Indicators PDF
- National Center for Healthy Safe Children - Implementing a Comprehensive School Mental Health Program Learning Module
Social Influencers of Health and Education Series, created in collaboration with the Center for Health and Health Care in Schools and the School-Based Health Alliance.
- Understanding Social Influencers of Health and Education: A Role for School-Based Health Centers and Comprehensive School Mental Health Systems
- Assessing Social Influencers of Health and Education
- Addressing Social Influencers of Health and Education Using MTSS
- Understanding and Addressing the Social Influencers of Health and Education: Live Webinar
The NCSMH partnered with six organizations to develop products that support the uptake and advancement of Comprehensive School Mental Health Systems:
- In partnership with the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO), we developed a Guide for State Agencies to support the advancement of comprehensive school mental health systems.
- In collaboration with the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP), we created the brief Effective School-Community Partnerships to Support School Mental Health.
- View new resources from the Family Run Executive Director Leadership Association (FREDLA) on Advocating for Comprehensive School Mental Health: