National Center for School Mental Health (NCSMH)
Welcome to the National Center for School Mental Health.
The mission of the National Center for School Mental Health (NCSMH) is to strengthen policies and programs in school mental health to improve learning and promote success for America's youth. From its inception in 1995, the Center's leadership and interdisciplinary staff has promoted the importance of providing mental health services to children, adolescents, and families directly in schools and communities.
The Virtual 2022 Annual Conference on Advancing School Mental Health is October 13-14, 2022
- We are accepting applications for a one-year learning collaborative to advance health equity with a focus on mental health and emotional well-being supports. The following 1801 State Grantee (CDC Designated Healthy Schools) states are invited to apply: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, Washington. View the Request for Applications - National Initiative to Advance Health Equity
- Get into SHAPE! Register with the SHAPE system to improve the quality of your school mental health system.
- Learn more about Classroom WISE - Celebrating One Year of Classroom WISE
- Cultural Inclusiveness and Equity (CIE) Well-being Information and Strategies for Educators (WISE) from the Central East MHTTC and the NCSMH.
- The Advancing Comprehensive School Mental Health Systems Report and Dialogue Guides Package offer collective insight and guidance to local communities and states to advance comprehensive school mental health systems.
Resources in Response to the Buffalo Supermarket Hate Crime: In response to this event, the National Child Traumatic Stress Network has developed resources to help children, families, and communities navigate what they are seeing and hearing, acknowledge their feelings, and find ways to cope together.
- The Need for Performance Standards in Preschools: Stealing Shamelessly from Comprehensive School Mental Health Literature by Sam Reaves, Sami Hartley, Brandy Clarke, Sharon Hoover, and Nancy Lever
- Advancing Comprehensive School Mental Health Systems: A Guide for State Education Agencies with the Council of Chief State School Officers
- Resources in Response to School Threats of Violence by the National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Transforming Caseload to Workload in School-Based Occupational Therapy Services, a FAQ document by the American Occupational Therapy Association
- Tools for Supporting Emotional Well-being in Children and Youth by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
- Advocating for Comprehensive School Mental Health (with the Family Run Executive Director Leadership Association)
- Effective School-Community Partnerships to Support School Mental Health (with the National Association of School Psychologists)
- Natural Disaster Resources
- Restart & Recovery: Leveraging Federal COVID Relief Funding & Medicaid to Support Student & Staff Wellbeing & Connection - Opportunities for State Education Agencies (with the Healthy Schools Campaign and Council of Chief State School Officers)
- School Mental Health NOW Action Alert
- Social Influencers of Health and Education (with the Center for Health and Health Care in Schools)
- Supporting Mental health in Schools (with the American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Youth MOVE National has created a new website on school mental health advocacy!