The National Center for School Mental Health (NCSMH) leads innovation in comprehensive school mental health systems designing and evaluating cutting-edge programs, practices and policies to advance high impact outcomes for youth, families, educators and communities.
Through the HRSA-funded School Health Services National Quality Initiative, we developed the School Health Assessment and Performance Evaluation system, or the SHAPE system. Register for SHAPE as an individual, school, district, or state to improve your school mental health systems for free. SHAPE users have access to a screening & assessment library, resource center, school mental health quality assessment, and more. Learn more on our NCSMH SHAPE page.
In our resources on this site, you can navigate through descriptions and resource samples across the 8 domains of the school mental health quality assessment that align with the national Mental Health Technology Transfer Center Curriculum:
- Foundations of School Mental Health
- Needs Assessment and Resource Mapping
- Mental Health Screening
- Mental Health Promotion for All (Tier 1)
- Early Intervention and Treatment (Tiers 2 & 3)
- Funding and Sustainability
To view our upcoming or recent webinars, visit our webinars page.
Supporting students, families, and communities impacted by bias, hate, and violence:
- Supporting Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders
- Supporting Communities Impacted by Violence
- Supporting Muslim Communities
- Supporting Transgender Staff and Students
- The Advancing Comprehensive School Mental Health Systems Report and Dialogue Guides Package offer collective insight and guidance to local communities and states to advance comprehensive school mental health systems.
Resources in Response to the Buffalo Supermarket Hate Crime: In response to this event, the National Child Traumatic Stress Network has developed resources to help children, families, and communities navigate what they are seeing and hearing, acknowledge their feelings, and find ways to cope together.
- The Need for Performance Standards in Preschools: Stealing Shamelessly from Comprehensive School Mental Health Literature by Sam Reaves, Sami Hartley, Brandy Clarke, Sharon Hoover, and Nancy Lever
- Advancing Comprehensive School Mental Health Systems: A Guide for State Education Agencies with the Council of Chief State School Officers
- Resources in Response to School Threats of Violence by the National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Transforming Caseload to Workload in School-Based Occupational Therapy Services, a FAQ document by the American Occupational Therapy Association
- Tools for Supporting Emotional Well-being in Children and Youth by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
- Advocating for Comprehensive School Mental Health (with the Family Run Executive Director Leadership Association)
- Effective School-Community Partnerships to Support School Mental Health (with the National Association of School Psychologists)
- Natural Disaster Resources
- Protecting Youth Mental Health - The US Surgeon General's Advisory
- Restart & Recovery: Leveraging Federal COVID Relief Funding & Medicaid to Support Student & Staff Wellbeing & Connection - Opportunities for State Education Agencies (with the Healthy Schools Campaign and Council of Chief State School Officers)
- School Mental Health NOW Action Alert
- Social Influencers of Health and Education (with the Center for Health and Health Care in Schools)
- Supporting Mental health in Schools (with the American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Youth MOVE National has created a new website on school mental health advocacy!